Re: Setup non-pushing gerrit instance for glibc.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> * Try to setup email based code review in gerrit.
>   - Currently email is outbound only.

Observations on teething troubles with the initial setup:

1. What's the status of fixing the problem with insufficient diff context
in emails when comments relate to particular parts of the diff?  They need
to quote the relevant amount of context (typically at least the whole diff
hunk, including the hunk header showing the changed function name) rather
than just one line and a reference to an external URL.  It's important for
messages with reviews to be meaningful in themselves without depending on
external links.  This is a longstanding problem (it was obvious in some
experiments some people did with proposing GCC patches with Rietveld,
gerrit's predecessor, several years ago).  Someone in the GDB discussions
mentioned a prototype patch to add some context to the emails, so maybe we
could use that patch.

2. Could text comments in emails from gerrit be properly wrapped?
Messages such as
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2019-10/msg00715.html> are hard to
read in the list archives because of very long lines.  (Of course, diff
context / quoted source lines should not be wrapped.)

3. Could we document (on the wiki, I suppose) the process for setting up
git remotes if you want a git repository to get local copies of all
versions of all changes proposed this way?  My understanding is gerrit
makes those available as refs named in some particular way, so adding a
remote with appropriate fetch config should work, but the particular
recipe ought to be documented.

4. Could we document how to get and keep up to date a complete local copy
of all the glibc review data in gerrit (comments etc.) using whatever APIs
are available?  Again, I think the relevant APIs already exist, but how to
use them for glibc ought to be documented (this is especially the case for
a service like this that's experimental, and thus might go away in
future).

5. It would also be useful to have documentation for how someone should
make a patch series appear appropriately in gerrit if they want to propose
a series that way.  That means the emails for a patch series should
include 1/N, 2/N etc. in their subjects (with a 0/N cover letter as
appropriate).

6. Lower priority, but note there are certain kinds of changes involving
huge diffs (e.g. to generated files) that thus *would* need a message size
limit and pointing to a URL for the diffs in that case, for it to be
possible to handle such changes through gerrit.  (When sending email
manually for such a change one can always omit the 50 MB of diffs to
generated files, but as I understand it part of the point of such a patch
review system is that the system seems the exact change proposed to be
committed, complete with generated files, so enabling automated testing of
patch proposals if desired.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com