This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Contribution checklist v2
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at gotplt dot org>
- Cc: GLIBC Devel <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 20:32:33 +0000
- Subject: Re: Contribution checklist v2
- Ironport-sdr: iZfUh/RAgLbEcQOYYMmfN/RjY6DrBt5toQXYrbLr6MlX5SeiiEfc65SpZ9nfB2fgQcaLbL+iKT setu8f9e/gt5DDlz/r2ya6uzn4Z7BIGTBNpcCTtyq85xEhUfLuxeq9f4r3Qep9+M2vph0rZ/dc vJ9TVVG8dUD2+oo+/PRKfFhJBCZAqrChcqluc03JqlhP9SjZrVDgPF/4/ezuud5ZVbcl/sZ69I OeuwwGQBEMawu/dom66Hs+IXVF0JPoKKuJ9BNwynsUM/z0bOlfyhgW+aUhjqO77keCNX1NtNDq JCU=
- Ironport-sdr: R3mEhpMJB0T2HyT+m+NArB2Oz0L3bchC/CmEQLANLCHXJvjZWzamP34Jymaj9DZonY6ohQqdrh Uwy7uQp1SWjs4shpp15aer/AaEWX523UjX0IciHiDCzcsidENTw4eJdhX9hFN4i90GTmIPW/V8 CtAV0L2bgEpVIn907nAW/zV30dMBfUoCM/Ofo59qkA6nXoBGNHBcNXyCmVbBTkYRiBYW7XgIJw JmtpgXQ1jTWYr9+IyW3F59u69Dt7d/HgKAGhxSv1Rt1Lce2apfv2VnKXd0CTMRkccdfqBPUcGw rLY=
- References: <email@example.com>
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> PS: I've dropped the ChangeLog section in that page and replaced it with
> a note pointing to the changelog generation script.
Note that the release checklist
<https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release> needs updating to include the
step of adding the generated ChangeLog in the release. I think that comes
right after updating version.h and features.h, and before tagging: run the
script (in some way that needs to be documented) and commit the results as
ChangeLog. That thereby ensures the ChangeLog is in release tarballs
without needing to change how those tarballs are created.
I think ChangeLog should be renamed now (at the point where we stop
writing ChangeLog entries manually) to ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.19.
Then, another step in the release process, after branching, along with
updating version.h and NEWS, should be renaming that generated ChangeLog
for the previous release to the next ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.<number>. So
the normal state on master would be that there is no file called
ChangeLog, just ChangeLog.old/*, but that release tarballs do include
ChangeLog with the changes from the most recent release (and changes from
previous releases in ChangeLog.old/*).
Joseph S. Myers