Re: Contribution checklist v2

On 10/7/19 1:02 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> What do you think of the following TL;DR; section at the top of the
> checklist:
>
> ~~~~~
> In summary, here is a high level list of things to do to get your
> patches into glibc:
>
>  * Make sure you have signed papers to assign copyright to the FSF
>  * Clone the
> [[https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=summary|repository]]
>  * Hack on code in your repository
>  * If you're fixing a bug, file a
> [[https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures|bug report]]
>  * Test your changes
>  * Commit the changes into your repository, making sure to rebase on top
> of latest master
>  * Create one or more patches using `git format-patch`
>  * Use `git send-email --to=libc-alpha@sourceware.org` to send the patch
> to the list, using --cc to get the attention of specific
> [[https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures|maintainers]]
> if needed.
>  * Ping at least weekly if your patch has not been reviewed yet
>  * On approval, commit the patch if you have access, or ask the reviewer
> to commit for you
> ~~~~~

That summary looks good to me.

> In fact, I wonder if it makes sense to drop the Testing section
> altogether and link to the Testing wiki page.  What else can we drop to
> make that page (and the process) less complicated?

There is a difference between testing for commit vs. testing in general.

I would be OK linking with the testing wiki page if it had a section on
"minimal testing before commit" where we need to talk briefly about testing
on as many arches as you can, and running build-many-glibcs.py if you are
touching headers across arches or kernels.

> PS: I've dropped the ChangeLog section in that page and replaced it with
> a note pointing to the changelog generation script.

Looks great!

Carlos.