This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2 00/10] Y2038 preparation: use clock_[gs]ettime to implement the other time-getting and -setting functions.
- From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>
- To: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, Lukasz Majewski <lukma at denx dot de>, Alistair Francis <alistair23 at gmail dot com>, Stepan Golosunov <stepan at golosunov dot pp dot ru>, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb dot de>, Samuel Thibault <samuel dot thibault at ens-lyon dot org>
- Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 14:32:19 -0300
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/10] Y2038 preparation: use clock_[gs]ettime to implement the other time-getting and -setting functions.
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <alpine.DEB.email@example.com> <CAKCAbMimgeMs64nZ_KXfsRm7XeK-6vaQtZoaFC3mX3r50BJxjg@mail.gmail.com>
On 03/09/2019 11:43, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Joseph Myers <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>> - The obsolete functions ftime and stime are no longer available to
>>> new binaries. The header <sys/timeb.h> is no longer installed.
>> It might be advisable to see if this affects the build of libsanitizer,
>> and alert sanitizer maintainers if so. (There appear to be sanitizer
>> interceptors for ftime and stime, and an include of <sys/timeb.h>.)
> I may not have time to do anything about this for at least a couple
> weeks, but I can confirm that the absence of sys/timeb.h does break
> the build of libsanitizer. Adhemerval's suggestion of keeping ftime
> and <sys/timeb.h> around for at least another release, but issuing
> warnings if ftime is actually used (attribute((deprecated)) maybe?)
> seems reasonable to me.
I just pushed a personal branch  based on your y2038-preliminaries
with the changes I have proposed in the review:
* Change most internal uses of __gettimeofday to __clock_gettime.
- Some tab/whitespace issues.
- Hurd time_value_t to timespec strict issues.
* Use clock_settime to implement settimeofday.
- Simplify sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/settimezone.c
* Use clock_gettime to implement time.
- Do not remove arch-specific time implementations.
- Adjust powerpc time to use the new generic implementation.
* Use clock_gettime to implement ftime; withdraw ftime.
- Keep the sys/timeb.h header and deprecate ftime.
* Use clock_gettime to implement gettimeofday.
- Do not remove arch-specific gettimeofday implementations.
* Warn when gettimeofday is called with non-null tzp argument.
- Remove the __warndecl hack.
- Change to "Make second argument of gettimeofday as 'void *'"
and adjust the required implementations.
I don't like to clash with you proposal, since some changes remove
some suggestion from your first patchset.