Re: Document strftime %Ob and %OB as C2X features

21.08.2019 21:39 Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> > C2X (in the form of N2385) is ambiguous on the relative meaning of %B
> > and %OB, so the precise meaning defined in the manual is still a GNU
> > extension.  Not sure if that matters.  I do not have objection to this
> > patch.
>
> Here is a version of the patch that tries to clarify that issue.
> [...]

Thank you, Joseph.  This looks good.  While talking about this, I received
few complains that this piece of documentation which I wrote 1.5 years
ago is sometimes ambiguous.  It is clear that "%B" is for a full date
and "%OB" is for a standalone name of a month.  People had questions:

* what if there is only a day and a month name (not a complete date so
  people thought it should be "%OB" but the answer is "%B" because there is
  a day and a month);
* what if there is only a month name and a year (it's not just a month
  standalone so people thought it should be "%B" but the answer is "%OB"
  because there is no day);
* what if some languages (which I'm not aware of) have different rules?

Is this the right moment to improve the documentation about this?

Regards,

Rafal