Re: "make check" times

On 7/19/19 9:31 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> writes:
I can't answer your question without knowing how much is 11 seconds
out of the total time taken.

In this case, it's about a third of "make check" if you don't need to
rebuild/recheck anything (reduces 30 seconds to 19 seconds), but
compared to a full test run (lots of minutes) it's in the noise.

Then I think this is a worthwhile fix.

In the old days I often would remove *one* output file to trigger the
test to be re-run and then just hit 'make check'.

This fix would, IIUC, accelerate that use case, which is probably a
common "newcomer" behaviour e.g. remove the test target result, and
rerun 'make check' to re-run that test.
I've been looking at it from a "why does running one test take so long"
viewpoint - when a test takes under a second, but "make check" takes 30
seconds, there's a lot of overhead.

Agreed. It should be way way less.
   - We cannot avoid compiling each file.

There are ways of optimizing this, too, though... like better
parallelism.

Agreed completely. To do that we need to start understanding our
dependency graph, and I know you know that ;-)

Carlos.