Re: glibc at the Toolchains microconference at LPC 2019

* Maciej Rozycki:

>> glibc system call wrappers are on the agenda:
>>
>> <https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2019/toolchains-microconference-accepted-into-2019-linux-plumbers-conference/>
>>
>> Will anyone from the glibc community attend and can set the right
>> expectations?
>
>  I plan to be there and I can carry the message.

Great, then we need to decide what it would be.

Maybe the following is a reasonable starting point?

The glibc project decided a while back that it wants to add wrappers for
system calls which are useful for general application usage.  However,
that doesn't mean that all those missing system calls are added
immediately.

System call wrappers still need documentation in the manual, which is
can be difficult in areas where there is no consensus how to describe
the desired semantics (e.g., in the area of concurrency).  (Copyright
assignment to the FSF is needed for both the code and the manual update,
but can usually performed electronically these days, and is reasonably
straightforward.)  On top of that, the glibc project is seriously
constrained by available reviewer bandwidth.

Some more specific notes:

Emulation of the system call is not required.  It has been historically
very problematic.  The only thing that has not come back to bite us is
checking if a new flag argument is zero and call the old, equivalent
system call instead in this case.

Wrapper names should be architecture-independent if at all possible.
Sharing system call names as much as possible between architectures in
the UAPI headers helps with that.

Mutiplexing system calls are difficult to wrap, particularly if the
types and number of arguments vary.  Previous attempts to use varargs
for this have lead to bugs.  For example, open/openat would not pass
down the mode flag for O_TMPFILE initially, or cannot be called with a
non-variadic prototype/function pointer on some architectures.  We
wouldn't want to wrap socketcall (even if it had not been superseded),
and may wrap futex as separate functions.

We strongly prefer if a system call that is not inherently
architecture-specific (e.g., some new VFS functionality) is enabled for
all architectures in the same kernel release.

When it comes to exposes the system call, we prefer to use size_t for
buffer sizes (even if the kernel uses int or unsigned int), purely for
documentation purposes.  Flag arguments should not be long int because
it is unclear whether in the future, more than 32 flags will be added on
64-bit architectures.  Except for pthread_* functions, error reporting
is based on errno and special return values.

Passing file offsets through off64_t * arguments is fine with us.
Otherwise, off64_t parameter passing tends to vary too much.

If constants and types related to a particular system call are defined
in a separate header which does not contain much else, we can incldue
that from the glibc headers if available.  As a result, new kernel flags
will become available to application developers immediately once they
install newer kernel headers.  (This may not work for multiplexing
system calls, of course, even if we wrap the multiplexer.)

Any other comments?

Thanks,
Florian