Re: glibc at the Toolchains microconference at LPC 2019

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Dmitry V. Levin <ldv@altlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 06:01:28PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > glibc system call wrappers are on the agenda:
> >
> > <https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2019/toolchains-microconference-accepted-into-2019-linux-plumbers-conference/>
> >
> > Will anyone from the glibc community attend and can set the right
> > expectations?
>
> What are the right expectations?

Well, _I_ think glibc should provide wrappers for all Linux system
calls, except those that cannot be used without stomping on internal
glibc data structures (e.g. set_tid_address, set_robust_list, brk) and
those that have been completely superseded by newer syscalls.  Other
people have disagreed with me pretty strenuously, but they haven't
done any of the work required to make forward progress on their more
conservative policies.  I am tempted to post a patch early in the 2.31
cycle that adds wrappers for everything, and then threaten to apply it
unilaterally unless I hear concrete objections within a week or so.

zw