Re: rseq/arm32: choosing rseq code signature

----- On Apr 17, 2019, at 6:37 AM, richard earnshaw Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com wrote:

> On 16/04/2019 14:39, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> ----- On Apr 15, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers
>> mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com wrote:

>>> I'm actually very much concerned about environments with big endian
>>> data and little endian code. Which gcc compiler flags do I need to
>>> use to test it ?
>>>
>>> I'm concerned about a signature mismatch between what is passed to
>>> the rseq system call ("data-endian signature") and what is generated
>>> in the code ("instruction-endian signature").
>>
>> Based on this page:
>> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0360f/CDFBBCHB.html
>>
>> My understanding is that the situation is as follows (please confirm):
>>
>> - Prior to ARMv6, you could build and run code that is either big or little
>> endian,
>>   given you had a matching Linux kernel endianness. Code and data endianness
>>   needed
>>   to match,
>> - Starting from ARMv6, only little endian code is supported. The endianness for
>> data
>>   access can be changed through bit [9], the E bit, of the Program Status
>>   Register,
>>   (mixed endianness)
>>
>> Looking at ARM build options for gcc, it seems you can select either big or
>> little
>> endian (-mbig-endian or -mlittle-endian (default)) which affects both
>> instruction and
>> data endianness. So I suspect the -mbig-endian option is really only useful for
>> pre-ARMv6.
>
> -mbig-endian is still correct, even on later architectures.  The linker
> gets involved, however, and (using the mapping symbol information) swaps
> the code segments to little-endian form (this is why you have to use
> .inst rather than .word when inserting instructions, so that the correct
> mapping symbols are inserted).

So what you're saying is that if I have:

void main()
{
        asm volatile (
                        ".arm\n\t"
                        ".inst 0xe7f5def3\n\t"
                        ".long 0xe7f5def3\n\t");
}

and compile it with:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -mbig-endian -march=armv6 -c -o arm-big-endianv6.o arm-test-endian.c

It's expected that the generated .o will have big endian instructions, matching
the endianness of the data, e.g.:

hexdump arm-big-endianv6.o

[...]
0000030 0a00 0900 80b5 00af f5e7 f3de f5e7 f3de

But it's then at the linking stage that the linker will
reverse the endianness of the ".inst" (but not .long).

Let's see:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -mbig-endian -march=armv6 -o arm-big-endianv6 arm-big-endianv6.o
/usr/lib/gcc-cross/arm-linux-gnueabihf/7/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00000000000001b0

hexdump gives me:
[...]
00001b0 80b5 00af f5e7 f3de f5e7 f3de c046 bd46

So it has not reversed the instruction endianness.

What am I doing wrong ?

I'm using:

gcc version 7.3.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04)
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.30

Thanks,

Mathieu

--