This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: BENCHTESTS: memmove benchtests do not test overlapping memory regions
- From: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>
- To: Anton Youdkevitch <anton dot youdkevitch at bell-sw dot com>
- Cc: "libc-alpha at sourceware dot org" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 11:41:45 -0500
- Subject: Re: BENCHTESTS: memmove benchtests do not test overlapping memory regions
- References: <5C5DA585.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 10:51 AM Anton Youdkevitch
> The current testing framework is using two buffers
> for all sorts of string benchmarks. Considering how
> the buffers get allocated (using mmap with the first
> argument set to 0) they can never overlap.
> So, the memmove benchtest actually tests memcpy
> (with a little additional startup) instead of memmove.
> I would like to adapt memmove benchset to cover the
> case of overlapping memory regions as well.
Yes, that would be a welcome improvement. It's probably going to be
big enough that you will need to file contributor paperwork with the
FSF: please read and follow the instructions at