Re: Require GCC 5 or later to build glibc (bug 23993)

On 18/12/2018 20:40, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't be better to focus on change toolchain requirements at the start
>> of release cycle?
>
> This particular patch is recognizing a requirement that has already been
> introduced (two months ago - it evidently took a long time for it to be
> noticed) as a side effect of using atomic_load_relaxed on a pointer to
> const (I think - in turn, via how the default atomic_load_relaxed
> constructs an asm output using typeof, resulting in that asm output
> variable being const and the error quoted in the bug report).  Given that
> we have such a requirement in fact on some architectures, and given how
> long we've had 4.9 as official minimum GCC version for building glibc, it
> seemed to make more sense to make the requirement for GCC 5 an official
> one everywhere rather than trying to figure out how to get things working
> on older compilers.

It indeed seems reasonable to change the minimum requirement for 2.28, even
more because the breakage [1] seems to affect most of the architectures. My
point is more for future changes, where I think setting the expectations
on start of release cycle might help users planning on toolchain
upgrade requirements.

[1] https://gitlab.com/kubu93/toolchains-builder/pipelines/40259702