Re: Building Python 3 on old distributions

On Friday 07 September 2018 11:50 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
One question asked at today's glibc BoF at the Cauldron was how hard it
was to build Python 3 on old GNU/Linux distributions, should we require it
for the glibc build.

I tried building Python 3.7.0 on Ubuntu 10.04, as the oldest distribution
I have readily to hand for testing such things.  I needed to build libffi
3.2.1 first:

./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install
make
make install

and then could build Python 3.7.0:

./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install CPPFLAGS=-I/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include LDFLAGS="-L/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib -Wl,-rpath,/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib"
make -j8
make install

The resulting Python does not support the ssl module (OpenSSL is too old
and I didn't try building newer OpenSSL locally).  It *does* support
hashlib.

We should not need openssl support to build glibc, so this shouldn't be a problem.

It might be a good idea to make a list of modules that are allowed when writing scripts directly related to build or bootstrap, maybe starting with the following:

- os
- sys
- argparse
- subprocess
- time
- io
- re

and then adding as required, keeping the list as small as possible.

Siddhesh