Building Python 3 on old distributions

One question asked at today's glibc BoF at the Cauldron was how hard it
was to build Python 3 on old GNU/Linux distributions, should we require it
for the glibc build.

I tried building Python 3.7.0 on Ubuntu 10.04, as the oldest distribution
I have readily to hand for testing such things.  I needed to build libffi
3.2.1 first:

./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install
make
make install

and then could build Python 3.7.0:

./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install CPPFLAGS=-I/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include LDFLAGS="-L/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib -Wl,-rpath,/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib"
make -j8
make install

The resulting Python does not support the ssl module (OpenSSL is too old
and I didn't try building newer OpenSSL locally).  It *does* support
hashlib.

If you want to build glibc on Ubuntu 10.04, you'll also need newer GCC,
newer binutils, and either a newer kernel or to cross-test since the
2.6.32 kernel is too old to test glibc anyway.  So I think this is older
than any distribution that is actually sensible for building glibc.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com