This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2] malloc: Remove malloc hooks (Bug 23328)
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:15:38 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] malloc: Remove malloc hooks (Bug 23328)
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 07/21/2018 03:38 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 06/29/2018 10:57 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
- I worked with DJ to remove/finalize __morecore, __after_morecore_hook,
and __default_morecore, along with fixing a bug with the mcheck support
(an application requesting mcheck via MALLOC_CHECK_=3 or tunables or
mallopt that *didn't* preload libmalloc-extras.so could abort with
- Turned all the hooks into compat symbols so no new ABI will have them,
but used GLIBC_PRIVATE symbols to keep libmalloc-extras.so working.
- Fixed up the manual.
- Added a NEWS entry.
Your review included a few suggestions:
- Cleanup the HOOK macro in malloc-extras.c, which could be done now
or later as a cleanup of the legacy implementation (Discussed by
you and DJ).
- I clarified to you my point about some APIs like mallopt remain,
but some options do nothing now (we can't entirely remove mallopt).
- A quick cleanup of $(objpfx) -> $(objpfx-common).
Did you have any further review?
Yes, missing dependencies for the LD_PRELOAD module libmalloc-extras.so,
and an explicit discussion why we use LD_PRELOAD and not a straight
link. There's also the matter of the name of the libmalloc-extras.so
The manual doesn't built, ether.