Re: glibc 2.28 release on August 1st and extended ABI freeze for ppc64le float128.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho wrote:

> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes:
>
> > * Carlos O'Donell:
> >
> >> I'm willing to extend the ABI/API freeze to July 13th for the ppc64le
> >> float128 changes, to allow those to go into the glibc 2.28 release.
> >
> > Do you expect these changes to be specific to the ppc64le ABI, or
> > might there be impact on other ABIs?
>
> They're all specific to the ppc64le ABI.

Handling float128 for argp.h, err.h and error.h functions, while keeping
using the same machinery for header redirections for both float128 long
double and -mlong-double-64 and keeping the machinery as consistent as
possible between different headers, means that all ldbl-opt platforms will
get new symbols __nldbl_argp_error, __nldbl_argp_failure, __nldbl_warn,
__nldbl_vwarn, __nldbl_warnx, __nldbl_vwarnx, __nldbl_err, __nldbl_verr,
__nldbl_errx, __nldbl_verrx, __nldbl_error, __nldbl_error_at_line.
(These are the functions I know about that were missed when the ldbl-opt
machinery was originally set up, but I don't guarantee that list is
complete.)  Thus, as well as powerpc64le, all other powerpc systems are
affected, as are alpha, s390 and 32-bit sparc.

(See what I said in
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-05/msg00803.html> regarding the
general strategy of sharing bits/*ldbl.h headers between the different
cases of long double redirections, with new macro variants being added if
necessary to handle cases that need to be distinguished for float128 long
double but not for the present -mlong-double-64 redirections.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com