Re: nss_compat still deprecated?

On 06/20/2018 02:52 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Did we un-deprecate nss_compat?  Should we?
>
> Since this commit:
>
> commit 64d1e08ea822bf47cb2796ad0f727136227f983c
> Author: Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
> Date:   Mon Oct 2 14:30:46 2017 +0200
>
>     Move nss_compat from nis to nss subdir and install it unconditionally
>
>     This has been tested that local lookup still works with and
>     without an installed libnss_nis, and that NIS lookup works when
>     libnss_nis is available.
>
> it is no longer necessary to deprecate nss_compat because there is no
> strong (non-configurable) NIS dependency anymore.
>
> If we un-deprecate nss_compat, we should add a note to NEWS (both for
> 2.28 and 2.27.1).

We have reports of at least 2 customers using compat for useful
purposes because of the way it allows you to alter the lookup
results at a local level e.g. local override.

If we "un-deprecate" it then we should review the manual information
and the linux man page documentation and update it to match the most
recent behaviour.

I'm in favour of un-deprecating it.

Cheers,
Carlos.