Re: Upstreaming the glibc Hurd port

Joseph Myers, on jeu. 18 janv. 2018 13:47:42 +0000, wrote:
> Please note (as a reminder from past discussions) that the Hurd libpthread
> will need to be included as part of glibc, much like NPTL is a
> fully-integrated part of glibc - not a separate package (support for
> add-ons has been removed from glibc).

Sure, I had to do that work for fixing the build of the
2.26.9000+20180108.401311cf-0experimental0 Debian snapshot

> Also as per previous discussions: Hurd port maintainers can put in changes
> to Hurd-specific files at any time

Sure!

> All the usual coding standards of course apply,

And that's were I haven't received help so far.

> In my view, build-many-glibcs.py support for Hurd would be appropriate
> even before the Hurd port builds (and certainly before it cleanly passes
> the compilation tests).  That support will definitely need patch review.
>
> Before Hurd support is fully integrated in glibc, I'd encourage having a
> branch *in the glibc repository* that contains such support, so we can
> more readily see what the changes yet to be merged are (and possibly
> comment on issues that will need addressing when integrating them in
> glibc).

I can pile-commit what we currently have, with all the XXXs, FIXMEs,
etc., if that can help the glibc side.

But the actual discussion of changes is what takes time, and bug-hurd
people have to actually help me with it (or at least unload from me the
coding standards and ChangeLog parts) if they want it to happen fast
enough.

Samuel