Re: [RFC 0/6] glibc port to ARC architecture

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017, Vineet Gupta wrote:

>   - How do I call it the first time, with my existing version of glibc.
>     The checkout process, gets upstream glibc and tries to build that instead.

build-many-glibcs.py <dir> checkout
[replace the src/glibc directory there with a different branch if desired]
build-many-glibcs.py <dir> host-libraries
build-many-glibcs.py <dir> compilers <targets>
build-many-glibcs.py <dir> glibcs <targets>

(It won't actually check that components are checked out from the
repositories / branches it thinks they are, so replacing by a checkout
from a different location should work fine.)

It's expected that upstream glibc should work with upstream versions of
the relevant other toolchain components; we don't want a repeat of the
NaCl situation, or the situation with MicroBlaze for a long time, where
required changes either never got upstream or took a very long time to get
upstream.  It's possible for very new ports that it only works with
upstream mainline and not the most recent releases, although I'd encourage
you to act like the RISC-V maintainers and e.g. actively backport
important fixes to the most recent binutils release branch.

"work" should include clean results from the compilation tests, as run by
build-many-glibcs.py for the "glibcs" action.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com