This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] malloc/malloc.c: Mitigate null-byte overflow attacks
- From: Moritz Eckert <m dot eckert at cs dot ucsb dot edu>
- To: DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, scarybeasts at gmail dot com, fweimer at redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:38:27 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] malloc/malloc.c: Mitigate null-byte overflow attacks
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
Sorry, I'm not getting my idea across. Let me try again.
I'm thinking, something that tests a size *before* we consider it in the
context of a chunk, such as this one:
One might also consider certain combinations of the three low order
bits, like setting both the A (arena) and M (mmap'd) bits at the same
Even if we had such a test, though, we'd still need to carefully
consider all the places we'd use it - comparing possible utility vs
Ah I see. That's a good check btw:-)
> But please don't consider this a requirement for any pending patches, I
> was just thinking out loud ;-)
So for my current patch idea, would you prefer it with or without a
macro and keeping the check inside unlink or not?