Re: RFC: x86-64: Use fxsave/xsave/xsavec in _dl_runtime_resolve [BZ #21265]

On 10/20/2017 01:09 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
When there are many DSOs, it takes more time to lookup a symbol
and time to save/restore vector registers becomes noise.   The only
case when time to save/restore vector registers becomes non-trivial is

1. There are a few DSOs so that symbol lookup takes fewer cycles.  And
2. There are many external function calls which are executed only once.  And
3. These external functions take very few cycles.

I can create such a testcase.  But I don't think it is a typical case.

Completely agree. Basically, a program which is affected would have to (a) call many functions, (b) with short symbol lookup chains, and (c) do very little actual work. This seems to be a very unlikely scenario.

I have a test case. GCC scales poorly with many function calls, and it is difficult to get --export-dynamic to work with recent GCC/binutils. I will try to run it on various machines.

Thanks,
Florian