Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:

> >   - https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-10/msg00102.html
> >     (not yet on master, but probably relevant to the point-release)
> >
> > Maybe there are more, and eventually others will emerge, so I have no idea
> > what criteria should be used to decide what goes in and what stays out of
> > this point release.
>
> There's no strict limitation on what goes into a stable branch, but I
> think the following guidelines should be followed if in doubt:
>
> 0. Must not break ABI on that branch
> 1. Reasonably limited in scope (i.e. isolated to an architecture, bug
>    fixes, CVE fixes, small feature additions)
> 2. Should not affect translation strings (flexible, could be overridden
>    for serious bugs/CVEs)

I would suggest:

3. Wait a few days after committing to master before cherry-picking to the
branch, in case any problems with the patch show up on master (the above
patch being a case in point).  When applying a patch to a branch, make
sure to watch out for any followup patches that were applied to master to
fix such problems, and cherry-pick those to the branch as well.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com