Re: Removing ChangeLog [Was Re: 2.26 hard freeze status]

On 08/03/2017 04:22 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
We need at least one of:

* A change to the GNU Coding Standards to stop requiring the ChangeLog
format to be used in specified circumstances....

* An agreed format for including ChangeLog-format information in commit
messages so that a ChangeLog can be generated automatically (again,
allowing for corrections)

Either will do. I've worked with projects that do the latter (e.g., Emacs, coreutils) and tend to agree that the hassles in automatically-generated ChangeLogs can be more trouble than they're worth. So I sent to bug-standards a specific proposal that would allow glibc to keep change descriptions in Git, while continuing to encourage the use of ChangeLog format for projects that do not establish and maintain their own formats. Please follow up on bug-standards as appropriate.