This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PING][PATCH v2] Remove check for NULL buffer passed to `ptsname_r'
- From: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>
- To: Arjun Shankar <arjun dot is at lostca dot se>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 09:39:40 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PING][PATCH v2] Remove check for NULL buffer passed to `ptsname_r'
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20170607115039.GB65837@aloka.lostca.se>
> `ptsname_r' is declared in stdlib.h to only accept a `nonnull'
> second argument and therefore GCC may choose to make optimizations
> based on the assumption that this argument is NULL. This means
> that potentially, GCC can optimize away the NULL check at some
> point in the future. Since this is a programming interface, we
> might as well remove the NULL check ourselves.
> This also warrants a change to the `ptsname_r' manual page that
> must be submitted to the corresponding mailing list.
Is this function documented in our manual (manual/*.texi)? If so,
please update that.
OK with that change. I don't think we need a copyright assignment for
a change that deletes seven lines of code and adds none.