Re: 2.25 freeze status

On 01/27/2017 05:06 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
Hi,

The release date of 1 Feb is upon us and there are 3 release blockers
that haven't been resolved yet:

- global-dynamic TLS broken on aarch64 and others

Fix is known (revert part of a faulty commit), it just needs review.

- Fix for bug 20019 causes linker errors for shared libraries using
  longjmp

This is bug 21041 and the situation doesn't look so good.

The fix for bug 20019 goes against the published guidelines for IFUNC resolvers: If IFUNC resolvers must not depend on relocations, then the fix breaks valid usage scenarios (if there are no relocations involved, it does not matter if the IFUNC resolver object has been relocated or not).

On the other hand, most IFUNC resolvers in glibc need relocations, so the guidelines are wrong as far as current glibc usage goes.

We don't have consensus yet as a project which way to go: Fix the glibc IFUNC resolvers (perhaps by changing the IFUNC resolver signature), or relax the requirement on IFUNC resolvers so that the glibc usage becomes valid. There aren't patches yet which could be committed, either.

We have not received reports from our testing in Fedora rawhide that bug 21041 is a regular occurrence in practice. So perhaps we should not treat this as a blocker.

Thanks,
Florian