Re: glibc 2.25 development --- 46 days to freeze.

Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 16 November 2016 11:26 AM, Jochen Hein wrote:
>> Can we get a snapshot of the current pot-file out to the translators? We
>> missed the last two releases, so I guess we need some time to catch up.
>> We can (and should) refresh the pot file after the freeze to translate
>> the last (hopefully few) messages before the release.
>
> I think that is a good idea.  In fact, would it be more productive to
> tweak the current workflow a bit so that translators can pull directly
> from git instead of using tarballs?  I am referring to the libc.pot
> workflow documented in our Release wiki[1] that requires the release
> manager to upload a tarball and then email coordinator AT
> translationproject DOT org.  Instead, the glibc release manager could
> just send out the email when they update libc.pot and translators can
> pull from git.  I reckon this could even be automated in a git
> post-commit hook.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm fine with it - usually a translater has no need to look at the
sources. And since tarballs tend to get/be big it might be ok to check
only some strings in cgit or something else.

The translationproject has this for sending out a new .pot-file
[http://translationproject.org/html/maintainers.html]:

,----
| Announcing
|
| To announce a new POT file, merely send the URL of a packaged
| distribution of your program to
| <coordinator@translationproject.org>. Best is to use the string
| "DOMAIN-VERSION.pot" somewhere in the subject line of your mail. The
| Translation Project will process a POT file only once, so another
| submission must use a newer VERSION. The distribution tarball pointed to
| by the URL does not have to be official, it does not even have to
| compile: its goal is merely to provide finer context for strings to be
| translated, in case translators need such references.
|
| The very first time you submit a POT file, the Translation Project also
| needs to know which email address to use for notifications, and if you
| want translated PO files sent in full to you or a mere URL pointing to
| them.
|
| You may submit new POT files as often as you want. You might wish to
| avoid exhausting translation teams, but we have never yet received a
| complaint. So don't hesitate submitting it if just a few weeks after the
| previous one you have a new release.
`----

Custom in the past has been to refer to the tarball in the announcement,
but at least we can check with the translation coordinator - hence the
CC:

Comments?

Jochen

--
The only problem with troubleshooting is that the trouble shoots back.