Bootstrapping cross-toolchain for ia64

The current cleanest approach for bootstrapping cross toolchains for
GNU/Linux targets is (following the guidance at
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00960.html>):

* Build binutils.

* Install kernel headers.

* Build static-only, C-only GCC, configured so that inhibit_libc is
defined, and using --with-glibc-version so things like stack-smashing
protection are correctly configured without glibc headers being available.

* Build glibc, which should be identical to what you get from a longer
sequence of alternating GCC and glibc builds (following fixes I made a few
years ago for building like that with the initial bootstrap compiler).

* Build GCC with shared libraries and C++ support.

* If you want to run the glibc tests, you should reconfigure / rebuild
with the new compiler to get everything required for all the tests.

This doesn't work for ia64 because libgcc depends on system headers even
with inhibit_libc.  What's the cleanest approach (assuming recent-enough
GCC and glibc) for building a cross toolchain for ia64-linux-gnu target,
so I can make build-many-glibcs.py do whatever's necessary?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com