This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH x86_64][BZ #20139] Don't allow configure with not supporting AVX512 assembler w/o --disable-avx512.
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Andrew Senkevich <andrew dot n dot senkevich at gmail dot com>, libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:09:09 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH x86_64][BZ #20139] Don't allow configure with not supporting AVX512 assembler w/o --disable-avx512.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMXFM3tJkhW78PPe4=FUhbm=8HoOY4iouSqXxLObA0GEMTxoZA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160627181631 dot GA4091 at vapier dot lan> <CAMe9rOqJsAQXJq767=zpLH=YFp0kixzDwLy8qJOB0qB-LaKL7g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160627190450 dot GB4091 at vapier dot lan>
On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Mike Frysinger <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2016 11:25, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Mike Frysinger <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> > On 27 Jun 2016 20:40, Andrew Senkevich wrote:
>> >> +'--disable-avx512'
>> >> + By default for x86_64, the GNU C Library is built with
>> >> + '--enable-avx512'. Configure with '--disable-avx512' if assembler
>> >> + doesn't support AVX512.
>> > people shouldn't have to pass configure flags like this to get a
>> > successful build. we have all the info in order to figure out a
>> > sane default. specifying enable/disable flags is purely to not
>> > use the default autodetection.
>> We want to make sure that x86-64 glibc supports AVX512. Any
>> suggestions are welcome.
> i don't see how that's relevant to what i said. if the assembler can
> be probed to see if it supports AVX512, then do that. why do you need
> a configure flag at all in that case ?
We want to REQUIRE AVX512 support for x86-64 glibc build.