This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] elf: dl-minimal malloc needs to respect fundamental alignment
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 17:02:33 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] elf: dl-minimal malloc needs to respect fundamental alignment
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160621111702 dot 39A5B402F6E95 at oldenburg dot str dot redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOpx1Vbr6_n8+SvGCe92TO5e+KdC3hNcNAN3LvfXhd79Ow at mail dot gmail dot com> <6ca009d9-433e-31f5-c3c0-c84ecc587059 at redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOpLkftyZ+4y=1E3pbrKRU-i0kE4bdQLGaCac_Q9v1cV6g at mail dot gmail dot com> <0ef86d34-0642-8e47-9fe4-dcd7638c6153 at redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOo5F4GXuh7HRUYeDh60wh6qafNtJH1xVXJREc6w4EPCiQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <7b71fba2-3afd-4eae-329e-3530cf828607 at redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOrVMtou+D-+JoNki+JHNcT8wWu0oeMOcA6nbkzORhZVww at mail dot gmail dot com> <8e016bb7-2a0d-3641-5530-cc7b89e42ca6 at redhat dot com>
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016, Florian Weimer wrote:
> As far as I know, we know match or exceed the C11 max_align_t requirements.
> What we cannot do is to bump max_align_t alignment because it affects ABI.
That's not obvious to me. It shouldn't affect the ABI of any function in
glibc, for example; it's not the sort of type you embed in other
structures. Increasing max_align_t to cover _Float128 (for 32-bit x86 as
the sole affected case) is a question I left open in my GCC _FloatN /
_FloatNx patch posting (not included in that patch, potentially relevant
for a followup); that issue properly applies to _Decimal128 as well.
Joseph S. Myers