This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 01/27] [AARCH64] Fix utmp struct for compatibility reasons.
- From: Szabolcs Nagy <szabolcs dot nagy at arm dot com>
- To: Yury Norov <ynorov at caviumnetworks dot com>, <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, <linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org>
- Cc: <nd at arm dot com>, <arnd at arndb dot de>, <catalin dot marinas at arm dot com>, <marcus dot shawcroft at arm dot com>, <philb at gnu dot org>, <davem at davemloft dot net>, <maxim dot kuvyrkov at linaro dot org>, <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, <pinskia at gmail dot com>, Andrew Pinski <apinski at cavium dot com>
- Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:14:54 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/27] [AARCH64] Fix utmp struct for compatibility reasons.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Nodisclaimer: True
- References: <1466485631-3532-1-git-send-email-ynorov at caviumnetworks dot com> <1466485631-3532-2-git-send-email-ynorov at caviumnetworks dot com>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
On 21/06/16 06:06, Yury Norov wrote:
> From: Andrew Pinski <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> NOTE This is an ABI change for AARCH64.
> If you have some AARCH32 and AARCH64 applications and they both use
> utmp, one of them will fail due to the use of time_t inside the
> utmp binary format.
> This fixes the problem by setting __WORDSIZE_TIME64_COMPAT32.
i think changing the abi now is not ok.
this is BZ 17470 and i think it should be discussed separately
if it's possible to detect the utmp file format, that would
allow a reasonable fix, the way glibc changes the struct def
based on lp64 targets is non-conforming.