This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] localedata: i18napis: update LC_ADDRESS.country_post
- From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: keld at keldix dot com, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:18:05 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] localedata: i18napis: update LC_ADDRESS.country_post
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1465600030-31896-1-git-send-email-vapier at gentoo dot org> <54a860f1-81c7-fe49-7ac9-99f3baebf2da at redhat dot com> <20160611072713 dot GL4053 at vapier dot lan> <baecc5dc-ffb2-573d-b8af-866557fe2682 at redhat dot com> <20160611141740 dot GO4053 at vapier dot lan> <d58e9995-d2d6-cb91-4d30-4f1323ba5db8 at redhat dot com> <20160615090038 dot GA24000 at www5 dot open-std dot org> <20160615155053 dot GT4053 at vapier dot lan>
On 06/15/2016 11:50 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> what exactly is the advantage to us trying to pick up this work ?
> all i see is downsides and wasted effort on APIs that no one will
> use. and i have the history of the glibc project to show that very
> few (if any one) actually cares to do all the work in keeping the
> data and API fresh. it's been 17 years since these were added to
> glibc and we've pretty much gone nowhere since.
My inclination would be to do one final update of LC_ADDRESS.country_post
to use the full country name in English and in caps from libaddressinput.
At the same time a comment should be added to every such entry that the
data is obsolete and instead that libaddressinput should be used for more
While a new GNU API for getting the country post for an arbitrary target
locale might be useful, it's orthogonal to this discussion, and for now
should not block Mike's cleanup.