Re: glibc 2.24 --- Release on August 1st (hard deadline).

On 03/31/2016 04:25 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to suggest that we release glibc 2.24 on August 1st
>> 2016 and consider this a hard deadline.
>
> I have no objection, but just for clarity, what would this mean for
> the freeze date(s)?

We would enter the ABI/API freeze on July 1st, and work our way towards
an August 1st *or* earlier release. Just like we have done with all the
other releases e.g. start preparing for the release 30-days before the
release [1]

The sooner we get machine testing done and everyone in agreement the
earlier we release glibc 2.24, and thus the sooner we open development
on the new branch.

So the more focused we are on the release the shorter the freeze and
the sooner we get back to development.

The goal remains that we release consistently on fixed dates in a time
boxed fashion.

Carlos.

[1] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/#Freeze_.5BREQUIRED.5D_.281_month_before_release.29