This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] glob: Simplify the interface for the GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC callback gl_readdir
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] glob: Simplify the interface for the GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC callback gl_readdir
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <57068276 dot 9000503 at redhat dot com>
This is a potentially breaking ABI and API change. The documentation does
not say anything specific about what the gl_readdir function's protocol is.
It just says "an alternative implementation of readdir". The way I'd read
that, and the reality of the status quo ante, is that a trivial wrapper
around readdir will behave identically to not using GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC at all.
That means that d_ino==0 results must be ignored.
IMHO this means we need symbol versioning to make a change to the treatment
It's a sufficiently conservative change to start ignoring d_namlen,
so you could do that separately.