Re: deprecated sunrpc and rpc/netdb.h

On 17 Mar 2016 16:01, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > other than fixing glibc to not install rpc/netdb.h (or any other
> > rpc related header) when rpc is disabled, i'm not seeing what the
> > fuss is about.
>
> The fuss is about allowing a smooth transition from glibc
> sunrpc to an external tirpc.
> Why do you think all Linux distributions do compile glibc with
> --enable-obsolete-rpc?
> Do you really think that this will change if there is not
> a smooth transition path?
> Even if you think RPC is dead and not in wide use, I'm
> not aware of any Linux distribution which is able to
> work without RPC. And for this reason, a switch to something
> else will never happen if it is a huge amount of work for
> them and they will additional suffer from missing features
> afterwards.
> Why should they do it?

the smooth transition plan is for tirpc to provide the full API.  if
glibc turns off the exported symbols (which --disable-obsolete-rpc
does), then there is no "smooth" transition -- your code fails to link
entirely if you aren't supporting tirpc.  stub headers do not make it
any easier ... if anything, it makes it harder.

i'm fully aware of the level of pain seen in distros as i've sent/made
many patches to packages that are in Gentoo.

and yes, Gentoo works just fine w/out rpc.  this is also easy to find
out by using alternative C libraries like uClibc & musl which have long
allowed you to disable RPC (or never included it in the first place).

i think you're overstating the impact.
-mike