Re: [Libtirpc-devel] glibc/libtirpc and future of client RPC code

> > src/getrpcent.c: We use the glibc function already if available, don't
> > know on which OS we compile our own version.
>
> According to commit 489912cad88f musl libc does not provide them.
>
> AFAICT nothing in libtirpc calls these functions. They are provided only
> for external library consumers. If these functions dip their hands into
> the YP maps, then maybe they should be removed from glibc and libtirpc
> and be provided by libnsl instead.

The existing glibc implementations use the nsswitch mechanism (as IIRC
these functions do on Solaris).  That can't really be implemented outside
of libc (unless we add a whole new public API for that).  It may well be
that nobody really cares about full nsswitch configurability for getrpc*
and they could be implemented elsewhere (in the new sunrpc library if files
only, or in the new YP implementation if files + YP/NIS+).  We certainly
would prefer to get rid of them from libc altogether along with all sunrpc
and YP related interfaces.  But if what users need is a new implementation
of exactly the same functionality the old libc implementation had, then
that might be difficult.  Fortunately, getrpc* is about the single least
troublesome thing in this whole mess, so if it just sticks around in libc
much longer than the rest, that's not really any burden to us.