Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

On 01/31/2016 05:22 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> As Linux 2.6.32 has been announced to reach end-of-line next month
> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/1/29/647>, I propose that for glibc 2.24 we
> require Linux 3.2 as the minimum kernel version when glibc is used on
> systems with the Linux kernel and there isn't already a more recent
> architecture-specific minimum.  This would continue to be the minimum
> until 3.2 reaches EOL (currently listed as May 2018 at
> <https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html>).  3.2 would thus also be
> the minimum headers version as well as the minimum version at runtime.

Can we switch to 2.6.33 first, and then see how many more
simplifications we get out of 3.2?

2.6.33 is an important step forward because it was when Alpha reached
system call parity with other architectures; before that version, some
old system calls such as pipe2 were not wired up properly.

Florian