This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
- From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org>
- To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
- Cc: monnier at iro dot umontreal dot ca, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, emacs-devel at gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:52:30 -0500
- Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <569CDB81 dot 6040600 at redhat dot com> <569D3BE0 dot 6050103 at cs dot ucla dot edu> <m2a8o2vg5x dot fsf at newartisans dot com> <569D4207 dot 4060209 at cs dot ucla dot edu> <569D6AE6 dot 1060008 at redhat dot com> <83bn8icjqu dot fsf at gnu dot org> <jwv60yk7snj dot fsf-monnier+gmane dot emacs dot devel at gnu dot org> <83r3h86aqf dot fsf at gnu dot org>
- Reply-to: rms at gnu dot org
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> AFAICS, it happens due to the following:
> . We call regex.c functions, which reuse an allocated buffer,
> extending it (via realloc) as needed; that buffer gets frozen with
> malloc arena used during dumping
> . We delete the terminal frame used by temacs and free its resources
> . Not 100% sure, but I think we also release/reallocate some
> font-related stuff
> It's easy to catch all those cases by setting a breakpoint on realloc
> and free during startup.
It may be a pain to fix them if they happen inside libraries.
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.