This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Add hwcap2 bits for POWER9
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: munroesj at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com
- Cc: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, linuxppc-dev at lists dot ozlabs dot org
- Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:45:37 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add hwcap2 bits for POWER9
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <568C272D dot 6000705 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <87egdsi4om dot fsf at totoro dot br dot ibm dot com> <1452267366 dot 5201 dot 12 dot camel at vnet dot ibm dot com> <568FE3D0 dot 7080008 at linaro dot org> <87wprgdu3u dot fsf at totoro dot br dot ibm dot com> <5693C861 dot 9030308 at redhat dot com> <87bn8revra dot fsf at totoro dot br dot ibm dot com> <56941532 dot 9030800 at redhat dot com> <1452616757 dot 29488 dot 10 dot camel at oc7878010663>
On 01/12/2016 11:39 AM, Steven Munroe wrote:
>> That's the rule. There are no other discussions to be had.
> Well is was posted to to powerpc next:
> We have agreement between the kernel and GLIBC (and the ABI).
> The issue is just coordination across communities and individuals that
> may not being paying attention to other communities dead lines.
> Have you ever tried to push a string, up hill. That is open source
> development in nutshell. ;)
I know exactly what this is like.
> So it is in flight and glibc is soft/slush freeze. I would hate to
> revert this one day just to add it back to the next. Especially if those
> days straddle the hard freeze ...
> So can we let this ride a day or too?
Sure. I'm not an unreasonable person.
My goal as a glibc steward is to remind IBM that our best practice is that
we *wait* until it goes into mainline before committing to glibc master.
There really isn't any reason to check this in to glibc master right now.
It could wait.
Adhemerval as a release manager is also not an unreasonable person.
I have already discussed with Tulio that he should have just waited to
commit these changes, but gotten an exception from Adhemerval to checkin
the fairly low-risk patches late in the freeze. That's exactly the purpose
of a release managers job, to grant you exceptions as we approach release,
particularly when schedules don't quite line up.