This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: RFC: deprecate sys/sysmacros.h inclusion from sys/types.h
- From: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>
- To: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:31:53 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFC: deprecate sys/sysmacros.h inclusion from sys/types.h
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <564D4C62 dot 3090404 at panix dot com> <566591BA dot 7090403 at panix dot com>
On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Zack Weinberg <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 11/18/2015 11:13 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> Andreas may still be running whole-distro rebuild tests, but enough
>> results came back that I feel fairly confident saying that option B
>> (remove the #include <sys/types.h> from stdlib.h) is a non-starter.
>> There are too many (sloppily coded, yes) programs that include stdlib.h
>> and expect it to expose all the POSIX foo_t types. That leaves us with
>> option A (remove the #include <sys/sysmacros.h> from sys/types.h) and
>> even that is going to break stuff. So we need a deprecation period.
>> The attached, lightly tested, patch sets up that deprecation period.
> Ping. The patch at
> <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-11/msg00452.html> is awaiting