This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Add Prefer_MAP_32BIT_EXEC for Silvermont
- From: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>
- To: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:11:07 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add Prefer_MAP_32BIT_EXEC for Silvermont
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20151211143706 dot GA7868 at intel dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1512111539300 dot 17023 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOqbqyFw3CMa35vwOEefdFq1xK2Q9hX8GXoGMKVZ-A2y0g at mail dot gmail dot com> <566AF894 dot 4060300 at linaro dot org> <CAMe9rOr-LypZXvq4Y4uwE_JybYoTXctZXMLjo4TH517NnC6omg at mail dot gmail dot com> <566B01BE dot 1070703 at linaro dot org>
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Adhemerval Zanella
> Another issue is this is basically limiting ALSR really hard on x86_64.
> I also would prefer to make the default to *not* include this flag and
> set the env. variable to actually enable it. If the cpu is slow doing
> what's intended because it is buggy, let it be slow at default. Do not
> break what was intended (full ALSR).
FWIW, I was about to post the exact same objection. Relatedly, the
environment variable should be handled through the normal ld.so-tuning
environment variable mechanism (and, in particular, ineffective for