Re: Building consensus over DNSSEC enhancements to glibc.

On 16.11.2015 19:49, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 07:46 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
>
>>> By the way, have you had a chance to review how an AD flag policy should
>>> interact with the search path configured in /etc/resolv.conf?
>>
>> Hmm, I apparently did not send the reply :-) Anyway, in my eyes 'search' is
>> inherently incompatible with domain name-based checks (be it TLS or DNSSEC or
>> whatever else).
>>
>> Speaking about AD bit, theoretically it could be set 1 if *all* intermediate
>> results had the bit set to 1, but I'm worried that applications would not
>> handle it correctly: Application would have to receive back the terminal name
>> which was found & use the name for domain name checks, which is error prone
>> and adds yet another layer which application developer has to take care of.
>>
>> Given that in TLS world search directive and use of short names lead to
>> validation failures (unless the cert contains the short name ...) I would
>> strip the AD bit if search is in use & name returned is not the same as name
>> originally requested by the caller.
>
> We would have to apply this stripping unconditionally, even for trusted
> recursive resolvers, I think.  Do you agree?

Yes, in all cases where search was actually *used*.

If the name requested directly by application exists (i.e. search machinery
was not invoked so it could not change the name) the AD bit can be relayed to
application, assuming the AD bit came from trusted resolver.

--
Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat