Re: Building consensus over DNSSEC enhancements to glibc.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 01:19:42PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On 16/11/15 13:17, Rich Felker wrote:

> >>I guess the misunderstanding here is that, unless glibc drops AD
> >>bits by default, as opposed to only dropping them when a special
> >>option is set, then applications cannot trust if the AD bits were
> >>set by a trusted resolver or by a random "internet cafÃ" compromised
> >>DNS server that is used as the nameserver option in resolv.conf
> >
> >Glibc neither "drops" nor "preserves" AD bits because it does not
> >produce dns packets as output. It produces struct addrinfo and struct
> >hostent, neither of which has such a concept.
>
> So you are saying that Carlos's proposed `options
> dns-strip-dnssec-ad-bit` will do absolutely nothing ?

I don't even understand what it means, but presumably it's in the
context of adding some extension where the AD bit is reported in the
getaddrinfo results. I question whether there is any valid reason to
have such an extension in the first place. I have not yet seen a
proposed usage case where it's needed that doesn't involve hopelessly
insecure configurations.

Rich