Re: RFC: remove <sys/sysmacros.h> from <sys/types.h>

On 11/13/2015 09:21 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Therefore, I propose we remove the inclusion of sys/sysmacros.h from
> sys/types.h.  It's risky enough that I think it's worth doing a distro
> rebuild with that change to find out what, if anything, breaks - who
> do I talk to to make that happen?

You reach out to the distribution maintainers to get help testing:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS#Distribution_Maintainers

We do this semi-regularly in Fedora Rawhide (which tracks glibc master)
in order to test new condition variable implementations, the new Unicode 8
support etc.

We could carry such a patch for a cycle in Rawhide and see what happens.
We are still building bootstrap infrastructure [1] which would be faster
to give you an answer. In Rawhide it will take months to churn through
the repo and developers might patch around it (even if I post about it
to Fedora Devel).

At present I have no opinion on what we should be doing here.

If you can make a conformance violation out of the present situation then
I'm happy to see a fix go in, *but* we better have a documented answer
in our release notes for users that need to fix packages, like we did
when we moved to _DEFAULT_SOURCE [2].

Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] http://fedora-bootstrap.osop.rhcloud.com/