Re: RFC: remove <sys/sysmacros.h> from <sys/types.h>

On 11/13/2015 06:45 AM, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
>Since sys/types.h
>does not provide these macros on SysV-derived systems, I would expect
>that portable software that needs them is prepared to include
>sys/sysmacros.h itself.
Portable software already uses autoconf AC_HEADER_MAJOR macro or analogs.

Yes, since coreutils uses AC_HEADER_MAJOR already, programs like 'ls' and 'stat' would be unaffected by the proposed change: ./configure would discover that sys/types.h no longer define 'major', 'minor' and 'makedev', and coreutils/src/system.h would therefore include <sys/sysmacros.h>.

It's clear these three macros don't belong in <sys/types.h>, but it's also clear there will be a conversion hassle for programs that are not as portable as coreutils etc. Can we deprecate these symbols without removing them, and then remove them a few years from now? That might be the wiser course.