Re: Consensus: Security Hall of Fame, Security issue attributions, NEWS, and Contribution Checklist.

On 10/21/2015 05:05 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>>> Rather than the suggested NEWS section I'd rather say that each bug with a
>>> CVE gets its own entry in the NEWS file (in addition to the general list
>>> of fixed bugs) and that those entries credit the reporter.
>>
>> Would you be OK if we expanded this to all security+ bugs get their own
>> NEWS entry and that those entries credit the reporter?
>
> I suppose so, though some security+ bugs are pretty obscure.

Thanks.

>> While we would like all security+ bugs to have a CVE it isn't a hard and
>> fast requirement right now, and in some cases we might not get a CVE for
>> certain bugs, but might still want to mark them security+ and mention
>> them as security bugs in the release NEWS.
>
> I think we had consensus for Florian to assign CVEs for public security
> bugs as per <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-10/msg00034.html>
> (though I don't know how much work such an assignment is per bug, or how
> many of the current security+ bugs - 97 including closed bugs; 13 open; 13
> open bugs have security? and 64 open bugs have no security flag set either
> way - have them).

We do have consensus that CVEs should be assigned to public security bugs,
but that is a process beyond the control of this community. For simple reasons
of autonomy I'd like the process to flow naturally from flags we have in bugzilla.
Thus security+ triggers a NEWS entry and the creation of a CVE. We can always
adjust NEWS when the CVE is assigned.

Cheers,
Carlos.