Re: AW: RFC: POSIX timers and threads in a realtime context

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Warlich, Christof wrote:

> Please advise how to proceed: Does it make sense if I send a patch?

I think a separate thread should be started seeking to establish a
consensus on whether gettid and pthread_gettid_np (see bug 6399) should be
added to glibc as part of the OS-independent GNU API.  That will require
careful analysis of the concept of tids in different operating systems,
not just Linux, to understand how OS-independent such a concept is, as
well as of Linux interfaces taking tids, and of glibc interfaces taking
them (whether correctly or incorrectly).  It will also require active work
understanding the different points of view expressed in that thread and
seeking to find common ground; consensus is unlikely to arise simply
through starting discussion and then watching it.

If a consensus supporting the addition of such APIs is established, a
patch implementing them can be submitted (make sure to complete the
copyright assignment paperwork before sending the patch).  If consensus
is against them in the OS-independent API, we may wish to look at the
libinux-syscalls concept for them.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com