Re: Hash out a solution for ChangeLog/NEWS at the Cauldron?

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Ideally I'd like to see everything driven by git notes / git commit log

As I understand it notes aren't included by default in git clones / pull /
push.  I don't think we should base things on anything git doesn't fetch
by default - just use version-controlled text files (whether such a file
listing fix-ups to the commit messages, or committing the generated
ChangeLog file when it's desired to fix something).

> * NEWS bug entry driven by "Resolves: #XXXX, #XXXX, #XXX" bug lines in
>   commit log, with "Related: #XXXX" when not closing the bug but indicating
>   you are fixing part of it.

Would those also generate the [BZ #N] annotations in the ChangeLog entry?

Note that for generating the NEWS entries you have to be able to allow for
a fix having been reverted, as well as for people getting the bug number
wrong or missing it in the first instance (and I suspect some of those
fix-ups are easier if the NEWS list of bugs comes from Bugzilla even if
the data in Bugzilla was first put there by a commit hook).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com