Re: Hash out a solution for ChangeLog/NEWS at the Cauldron?

On 05 Aug 2015 10:44, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:
> >  - `git grep foo`
>
> Doesn't work with a tarball.

this is true, but honestly, so what ?  if you're a dev and diving into the
source to do some hacking, nowadays you're going to first find the upstream
vcs and get a checkout.

if you really want to ship a generated file for tarball punters, then i have
no problem with that as long as it's disconnected from the development process.

i don't think we should be holding back our developers to support the oddball
cases that are already way better served doing it the right way (i.e. git).
-mike