Re: asprintf() issue

On 05/20/2015 03:44 AM, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> Said that, I don't object to introduction of a compat symbol for asprintf
> if there is a general consensus that any user visible change requires
> introduction of a compat symbol.  Those distributions that adopted my
> patch for asprintf or developed an equivalent change will have to support
> a patch removing this compat symbol, but it shouldn't be an issue as
> they must be prepared to support their edition of asprintf anyway.

They don't need to remove the compat symbol at all. They can just leave
everything as is and keep patching the original symbol to do whatever they
want. They should not deviate from the ABI symbol set that upstream is using
since that will cause linkage issues across the distributions.

We should add a new symbol and be conservative about this.

Cheers,
Carlos.