Re: Intel's new rte_memcpy()

On 02 Feb 2015 10:00, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> I would like to create relatively portable binaries that don't depend
> on recent glibc releases. For this purpose I am tempted to reference
> an older memcpy in my symbol table with this trick:
>
> __asm__(".symver memcpy,memcpy@GLIBC_2.2.5");

binding just one symbol to the old one wouldn't help with all the other symbols
that have newer bindings.

you'd also have to analyze the semantics between the old/new symbol to see
whether you could safely bind it.  memcpy is a bit of an uncommon case ...
usually the breakage that causes a new symbol version includes an API change
too.

so in general, the only way to build a program that is safe to use with older
glibcs is to actually get a toolchain using that older glibc and then build/link
against it.
-mike