This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64
- From: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 21:10:01 -0200
- Subject: Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <orr3vr3pa1 dot fsf at free dot home> <oregrq414g dot fsf at free dot home> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412231952260 dot 31777 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On Dec 23, 2014, Joseph Myers <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Dec 23, 2014, Alexandre Oliva <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > Here's a patch that fixes a few build errors I got when using GCC 4.8
>> > with -Werror. Ok to install?
>> And here are a few more that I only hit when running the testsuite...
>> Ok to install?
> Are you building with -DNDEBUG?
Yeah. I had no idea I was, but it looks like I picked that (and -O3) up
from a config.status created by a Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise
Taking them out, the build failures have indeed gone away.
Now, if we want to rule out -DNDEBUG builds, shouldn't we have some
Makefile CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS tester to report this error, instead of failing
in such obscure ways, that is a sure way to invite others to report and
offer patches in the future, in addition to requiring Red Hat and Fedora
to carry patches in future builds if they decide to keep on building
glibc with -DNDEBUG?
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter http://FSFLA.org/~lxoliva/
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi
Be Free! -- http://FSFLA.org/ FSF Latin America board member
Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer